PRINCE2 is a methodology used in project management. It provides you with common procedures and terminology used in project management. This has gained a lot of popularity in the IT sector and many companies have made it mandatory for their project managers to clear the exam. Some do insist on saying that experience would be sufficient to handle all kinds of situations and they would be doing it perfectly well too. But I believe, to provide that extra edge and ensure the continuous improvement of a project, we need to understand the global standards that are being used. We should not be left out in the market and be ready to adapt to methodologies which will help us in our project management skills and eventually the success of the project.
PRINCE2 has two exams; the foundation level and the practitioner exam. Foundation has the basic concepts and the terminology and how to use them whereas practitioner is usually for project managers who are already working in the field and would like to improve their skills further.
So, what makes PRINCE2 Certification so important? Let’s see few reasons:
- To gain project management skills: to become a project manager you need few skills like you need to manage your team effectively, manage cost and risk etc. among few others. PRINCE2 gives you a detailed knowledge on how to do your job better.
- To improve your chances of recruitment: This is a standard method and recognized worldwide. This certification in your resume lets the recruiter know that you are aware of the management practices and you need not been given any kind of training for understanding the concepts or handling the team.
- Best practice: this is a set of best practices that are combined together so that any company can adapt this technology effectively.
- Customer focused: This methodology insists on keeping the customer needs at the top and it in turn leads to greater customer satisfaction.
- Customers also recognize the importance of PRINCE2 and they believe in the success of the project when PRINCE2 is being used. They also assume that reliability would not be a issue while using PRINCE2.
- PRINCE2 emphasizes on mitigating risks in the project and also insists on continued Business case justification throughout a project and thus enables reducing cost and effort.
- This will guide you on how to structure a project effectively and ensures proper communication between everyone involved and also makes the project a success.
- PRINCE2 concentrates on delivering quality and good compliance as it follows standard compliance standards.
- It can be used by any kind of project and in any industry which is big advantage.
- It promotes the definition of roles and responsibilities for every individual and thus makes it easier for team work.
In short, understanding the PRINCE2 Certification can be very effective for your individual growth as well as for the organization better performance in the industry. It is a step by step process and if followed correctly, we can see the benefits of using the same. It is tried and tested method and has been in use for more than 30 years and improvements are made quite often in order to keep up with the changes.
Since it is a consistent approach and the roles are clearly defined, any changes to the team do not affect the project. It is very advantageous as people keep changing their job and a project’s success should not depend on a particular individual. No wonder that PRINCE2 has become a pre-requisite for a project manager and he is considered with high regard if he possesses the certification.